Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Gratitude

It’s been a fascinating year. As I look back and forward during this time of change and hope, I have just so much to be thankful for.

In January 2008, “Finding Authenticity (does anyone remember?)” debuted at GRACE (Greater Reston Arts Center). I shared the space with an elegant exhibit by Anna Fine Foer. The staff at GRACE is AMAZING. Joanne Bauer is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Many thanks to Joanne, John, Erica and the staff at GRACE!

I am indebted to F. Lennox Campello for his insightful review of the GRACE exhibition on his blog, DC Art News. He gave me the greatest Valentine's Day gift ever when the review made it into the February 2008 issue of the Old Town Crier. Thank you Lenny, Lani, and the staff at the Old Town Crier.

Curated by Jeffreen M. Hayes, “Creating Humanity (amidst the illusion of our separateness)” was exhibited at the Delaplaine Visual Arts Center in Frederick, Maryland from June 7 to July 27, 2008. Diane Sibbison, the Exhibits Manager, was a wonderful person to work with. Jeffreen, thanks for making that long drive from Virginia.

Thank you to the staff at Silver Eye Center for Photography who exhibited my work in the New Works Online Gallery from October 1 to December 31, 2008.

During the fall of 2008, I attended the En Foco Portfolio Review. Three very energetic and simply fabulous women --Miriam Romais, Marisol Diaz and Janine Ryan, and a host of volunteers, ran a wonderful event. Thank you to all the reviewers (Lisa, Rocio, Mary Anne, and Joanne) for your recommendations and insight into my work. Thank you Mary Anne Fahey for including my work in the artVIEW 2008 exhibition at DAR Constitution Hall. And Lisa Henry thanks for the best Christmas present ever!!!

I am indebted to Hannah Frieser, Jeff Hoone and the staff at Light Work who do an amazing job with the Contact Sheet publication and who presented me with the opportunity to be an Artist-in-Residence in 2007. The Contact Sheet 147 published on September 25, 2008 is a very special issue. Also, a huge thank you to Jeffreen Hayes for the beautiful essay. Mary, thank you for including my work in the “As it Happens:Recent Artists in Residence” exhibition from April 7 to December 31, 2008 in the Robert B. Menschel Photography Gallery at the Schine Student Center at Syracuse University. Laura, Vernon, John, Carrie, Mary and Jessica, I sincerely appreciated your help during my residency.

Thank you to the Sewall Belmont House for hosting the exhibition “Project 3: Empowered by Artistry” during the summer of 2008. Thank you to Sharon J. Burton of Authentic Contemporary Art for organizing and including me in the exhibition and for listing me on your blog as an artist who inspires you! I am also grateful to all of the sponsors of the exhibition including: Arts for Global Development, Authentic Art Consulting, The ThickArt Collaborative, and the Girls Gotta Run Foundation.

A GIANT thank you to Carla Williams for promoting my work on her blog and especially for posting my nomination for the Baker's Artist's Awards. (Please vote for me!)

Thank you Michele Ridley-Cook for providing me with inspiration over the past five years. It truly is A Good Life.

Someone who I can’t thank enough is Jeffreen M. Hayes, a PhD candidate at William and Mary, she is just beautiful with a courageous and genuine spirit. She also featured my work in the International Review of African American Art. Thank you to Juliette Harris, the editor of the IRAAA.

Dr. Robin Poynor and Kristin Flierl, of my alma mater University of Florida, thank you for your help earlier this year.

Sergio Vega, Valerie Mendoza, Desiree Navab, Barbara Jo Revelle, Andrea Robbins and Max Becher you provided me with a strong foundation that gives me the courage to continue to work, exhibit and enjoy creating art work five years after graduation, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Sarah, Liz, Tony, and Dean Hintz at AIW thank you for continuing to renew my contract. (Now, if only I could remember to sign those LOAs.)

To all of my family and friends, both near and far, please know your unconditional love and support is cherished. To my brothers partying in London, no matter how old you get or how much taller you are, you will always be my “baby” brothers. Safe travels and see you on the 3rd!

If I have forgotten someone—blame it on the strawberry daiquiris.

Cheers to a wonderful 2008 and a marvelous 2009!!!

Best wishes,
Sonya A. Lawyer